- » About Us
The Communication Sciences & Disorders Program at FIU
The field of Communication Sciences & Disorders focuses on evaluation, treatment, and research in human communication and related disorders. At Florida International University, the graduate program in the Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders (CSD) in the Nicole Wertheim College of Nursing and Health Sciences (NWCNHS) is a 6-semester program leading to a Master of Science degree in Speech-Language Pathology (MS-SLP). The Department also offers a Graduate Certificate in Communication Sciences and Disorders to complete the required prerequisite courses.
This CAA accredited program provides a unique bilingual emphasis and prepares graduates to work with the increasing number of bilingual individuals in need of specialized care. This bilingual competency will be a critical advantage for speech-language pathologists as the country's minority population continues to grow in the coming decades.
We encourage you to visit this website for more information on our program.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE SLP CERTIFICATE PROGRAM IS BEING PHASED OUT AND WE WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTING STUDENTS TO THIS PROGRAM.
THE NEW PROGRAM, THE GRADUATE CERTIFICATE IN COMMUNICATION SCIENCES AND DISORDERS (CSD), IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR APPLICATION TO TAKE THE PREREQUISITE COURSES. IT IS A POST-BACCALAUREATE PROGRAM ONLY.
Facts At a Glance
- The Florida Board of Governors approved the Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) degree for implementation in the Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders (CSD) at Florida International University in 2000. The program is a six-semester, 61-credit course of study. There are 4 designated semesters of clinical rotation.
- The Master of Science program in SLP is accredited by the Council of Academic Accreditation (CAA) in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).
- Employment of graduates from the Master of Science SLP program is 100%.
- The CSD Department admits 50 MS-SLP students annually.
- The CSD Department currently has 95 enrolled MS students. The demographics of these students is:
- Asian 4%
- Black 4%
- Hispanic 68%
- White 24%
- There are currently 120 students in the Graduate Certificate Program in CSD.