- » Admission & Advising
Admission & Advising
The Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders (CSD) at Florida International University offers the Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology (MS-SLP) degree and a Certificate in Speech-Language Pathology.
Individuals who have completed or are pursuing a bachelor’s degree in a discipline different from Communication Sciences & Disorders or Speech-Language Pathology must complete additional admission requirements. Prior to acceptance, applicants need to successfully complete nine (9) prerequisite courses or their equivalents. These courses are:
- SPA 4112 Phonetics (or LIN 4214 Phonetics, offered through the Linguistics Department)
- SPA 4002 Survey of Communication Disorders
- SPA 4101 Anatomy & Physiology of Speech and Hearing
- SPA 4101L Anatomy & Physiology of Speech and Hearing Lab
- SPA 4004 Introduction to Speech & Language Devlpt & Disorders
- SPA 4011 Speech and Hearing Science
- SPA 4050 Clinical Management in Communication Disorders
- SPA 4030 Introduction to Audiology
- LIN 3013 General Linguistics
To be eligible for consideration for admission to the SLP graduate program, all applicants must meet the minimum admission standards set by the University Graduate School at FIU. A different set of admission requirements apply for the Certificate track. Please review the admission requirements for your specific CSD program of interest.
Upon acceptance and orientation to the FIU CSD graduate program, each student will be provided with a faculty advisor who will meet with them on a regular basis to guide them through their course of study in coordination with the chair of the program and the Coordinator of Clinical Education.