How to Apply
** PRIOR TO APPLYING TO THE PROGRAM **
All students are strongly urged to make an appointment to attend a Generic Information Session at the Modesto A. Maidique Campus (MMC).
Following attendance at an information session, students should make an individual advising appointment with the Pre-Nursing Admission Advisor, (305) 348-7703 - Prompt 3 for LIVE person.
Bring copies of all transcripts to the advising appointment for evaluation of deficiencies in state mandated requirements and/or nursing prerequisites.
Applicants who previously applied, but were not accepted for admission to the program must resubmit a new application packet (CNHS Generic BSN application, video essay, official transcripts, and unofficial test scores) in order to be considered for the next academic year. See application steps below for more details.
STEP 1 – Apply to FIU (Transfer students only)
Applicants not yet fully admitted to FIU (i.e., transfer students) must complete and submit the online FIU application for Fall semester admission, with the required application fee and submission of official transcripts directly to the university. Applicants should choose the nursing lower division major when applying.
STEP 2 – Complete Prerequisites (Completed by ALL students)
All Nursing Prerequisites MUST be completed by the end of Spring 2013 (see required prerequisite list.)PLEASE NOTE: As approved by the Undergraduate Nursing Faculty on 4/25/12 and pending university curriculum approval, effective for Fall 2013 admission cycle the perquisites NUR 3119 and COM 3461 will no longer be required.
Applicants who complete prerequisite courses at a public Florida community college are strongly encouraged to complete the Associate of Arts (AA) degree before transferring credits to FIU. Students who enter FIU without an AA degree, transfer from out-of-state, or transfer from a private community college must meet the FIU core curriculum requirements and must satisfy State of Florida mandated Gordon rule and foreign language requirements prior to full admission to the nursing major.
STEP 3 – Take Nursing Entrance Exam (Completed by ALL students)
The Nursing Entrance Exam (HESI-A2) must be taken at the FIU Testing Center. There is a testing fee of $50.
Click here for information on study materials.
- New applicants – The first attempt of the exam is weighted most heavily, with minimum achievement of 80% in Math and 80% in Reading required. If subsequent attempts are needed to achieve these scores the student will earn a lower ranking.
- Previous applicants (Fall 2012) – These applicants may take the new 2013 HESI-A2 examination to improve their ranking without penalty, however the most recent attempt will count for ranking even if scores are lower than earlier attempts.
Call the Testing Center for an appointment to take the examination, making certain to have adequate time to obtain test results prior to the application deadline:
FIU Testing Center
Modesto A. Maidique Campus, GL-120 | 305-348-2840
Biscayne Bay Campus, AC1-160 | 305-919-5754
STEP 4 – Send Complete Application Packet (Completed by ALL students)
Submit all application materials listed below in ONE PACKET by March 15, 2013 to:
Florida International University
College of Nursing & Health Sciences
Modesto A. Maidique Campus - AHC 3, Room 121
11200 SW 8 Street
Miami, FL 33199
NOTE: Incomplete applications submitted with missing materials WILL NOT be considered.
2. Video Essay
Video file no longer than 3 minutes; 480 or higher resolution; uploaded to YouTube with privacy setting of "unlisted." (Instructions for creating an unlisted video: http://cnhs.fiu.edu/unlistedvideohelp.html )
Title of Video: Student's LAST NAME, FIRST NAME and Panther ID (example: Smith, John PID#######)
The following questions must be answered by the student on their video and the entire video cannot exceed three (3) minutes. Students should dress in appropriate attire and present a professional image.
Questions: (Student must clearly state FULL NAME and Panther ID at the beginning of the video)
3. One copy of each official transcript from every college, university or professional school attended in a sealed envelope. (Official transcripts should be sent to the student in a sealed envelope and then included in the application packet submitted to Student Services. Students reapplying, who were not admitted to the nursing program in Fall 2012, should only submit official transcripts if they are also applying for readmission to the university.)
4. FIU Panther Degree Audit (PDA) printout (FIU students only)
5. Unofficial results of HESI–A2 test scores. Official results will be obtained by our staff from the Testing Center
Generic BSN program application materials must be submitted in ONE PACKET:
- CNHS Generic BSN application with supporting documents
- Video essay uploaded to YouTube (Video URL included on application)
- Official transcripts in sealed envelopes
- FIU Panther degree audit; (enrolled FIU students only)
- Unofficial HESI-A2 test scores
Prior to March 15, 2013 to the following address:
Florida International University
College of Nursing & Health Sciences Student Services
Modesto A. Maidique Campus - AHC 3, Rm. 121
11200 S.W. 8th Street
Miami, FL, 33199
Incomplete packets with partial application materials WILL NOT be considered for admission
NOTE: Florida International University and College of Nursing & Health Sciences' policies, procedures, requirements and regulations are continually subject to review in order to serve the needs of the University/College’s publics and to respond to the mandates of the Florida Department of Education, Board of Governors, the Legislature, and other regulatory and accrediting agencies. Changes in programs, policies, procedures, requirements, and regulations may be made without advance notice.