- » About Us
The Occupational Therapy Program at FIU
Occupational Therapy (OT) is one of eight disciplines of the Nicole Wertheim College of Nursing and Health Sciences (CNHS) at Florida International University. The mission of the FIU OT Department is to establish excellence in occupational therapy education, research and scholarly activities, to actively engage in community partnerships, and to prepare culturally competent entry-level practitioners who provide evidence-based OT services to the community.
The Professional Master of Science in Occupational Therapy (MSOT) at FIU is a 2.5 year, (7 semesters/80 credits) full-time program. Fifty students are admitted each fall semester. The MSOT program prepares students to become entry-level occupational therapists. This intensive hands-on program equips students with the tools, knowledge, and skills to promote health, wellness, and independence throughout the lifespan of individuals with physical, cognitive, and psychosocial dysfunction. Graduates of the MSOT are eligible for certification by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT).
Facts At a Glance
- More than 90% of our graduates are employed within 6 months after graduation.
- Our faculty are doctorally prepared and are known nationally and internationally for their education scholarship and research.
- We offer low, in-state affordable tuition compared to private universities.
- Students receive individualized faculty advisement.
- Since 2007, $800,000 has been disbursed in scholarships by the OT Department.
- Diversity in our student body uniquely positions our graduates to better serve multi-cultural communities both locally and globally.
- We offer a wide availability of clinical sites for fieldwork including emerging practice areas such as low vision and community mental health.
- There are opportunities to become involved in research with nationally renowned faculty members.
- Opportunity to study in Miami’s first and only four-year public research university that is worlds ahead in its service to the community.