The Florida Board of Governors approved the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree for implementation at Florida International University to start in the Fall semester, 2007. The program is nine semester, 113-credit course of study leading to the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT). There are 32 weeks of clinical education.
Final application deadline for beginning the program in Fall 2011 is January 15, 2011
Interview Dates: February 11/12th and February 25th.
We will review applications on a monthly basis beginning in September prior to the January deadline. Well qualified students who apply within this time frame will be invited to campus for an early interview. Successful candidates will be offered early admission contingent on completing all admission requirements.
DPT Physical Therapy-Professional Preparation Program
- A bachelor’s degree in any academic field from a regionally accredited institution
- Admission into FIU as a graduate student
- Applicants are required to take the GRE to meet Graduate School requirements. 1000 combined Verbal and Quantitative on the GRE is recommended. Students should also take the Analytical Writing portion of the GRE
- A GPA of 3.0 on last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework. A minimum of 3.0 on overall GPA and prerequisite coursework is recommended
- At least 40 hours of observation within a physical therapy clinic or facility
- Three letters of reference one of which must be from a licensed physical therapist
- Completion of the following pre-requisite courses before starting the program (Courses listed are those to be taken at FIU). Please note that survey courses in chemistry, biology, and physics are not acceptable.
Two semesters of General College Physics with labs
PHY 2048, PHY 2048L, PHY 2049 and PHY 2049L
PHY 2053, PHY 2048L and PHY 2054, PHY2049L
Two semesters of General College Chemistry with labs
CHM 1045, CHM 1045L, CHM 1046 and CHM 1046L
Biology requirements (select one of the following two options):
1. One semester of General Biology with lab, one semester of human physiology with lab
and one semester of anatomy with lab
BSC 1010, BSC 1010L, PCB 3702 and PCB 3702L or HSC3549 and ZOO 3731 and 3731L
2. One semester of General Biology with lab and two semesters of anatomy/physiology
combined with labs
BSC 1010, BSC1010L (FIU does not offer combined anatomy/physiology courses)
Two semesters of psychology
STA 2122 or higher
Applying for admission to the DPT program is via the Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (PTCAS) at the below address.
Applicants also need to complete a Supplemental Graduate School Online Form at https://intra.fiu.edu/Facts/PTCAS
If we need additional information, or to schedule an interview, we will contact you via email at the address you provided to the PTCAS system. Please monitor your email as it is our preferred method of communication.
If you have specific questions regarding selection or acceptance of prerequisite courses please contact Barbara Anderson firstname.lastname@example.org.
For other questions on your application or if you wish to visit the department please contact Dr. Denis Brunt, the department chair email@example.com.