As a prospective student to the PhD in Nursing program at Florida International University, you must meet all admission requirements stipulated in the University’s Graduate Policies and Procedures in addition to the admission requirements specific to the doctoral nursing program.
Prospective student must meet all admissions requirements stipulated in the University’s Graduate Policies and Procedures. Additional requirements are as follows:
- A master’s degree in nursing from an accredited institution.
- A master’s program grade point average (GPA) of 3.3/4.0 or higher.
- (Verbal and Quantitative) Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. The GRE must have been taken within the last 5 years of the date postmarked on the application. If the GRE was taken prior to 5 years and the combined score is high, call the College’s Doctoral Program Office to determine if a waiver is possible.
- Three letters of recommendation from academic and professional references.
- International graduate student applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit a score for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Minimum required scores is 550 on the paper‐based TOEFL, 80 on the internet‐based TOEFL (iBT) or 6.5 overall on the IELTS.
- A statement of the applicant’s goals for pursuing the PhD degree in nursing. This statement must be typed, double‐spaced, in a narrative format of no more than 500 words, using Times New Roman or Arial 12 Font.
- Current Registered Nurse (RN) licensure or RN licensure with Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP) certification in the State of Florida if applicable. The license must remain current throughout the program. Registered Nurse (RN) licensure in Florida is waived for international students.
- Current professional liability insurance. The graduate student must maintain liability insurance throughout the program.
- A satisfactory interview by members of the College’s Doctoral Program Admissions Committee. The Committee will examine the credentials of allapplicants.
*The Florida RN licensure and professional liability insurance requirements are waived for international students.