Applicants may inquire about info session availability OR make an appointment with an FIU Graduate Nursing Advisor for assistance with the application process (see Advising page).
The applicant must:
- Have completed a baccalaureate degree in nursing which is accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC), or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Applicants with a baccalaureate degree from nursing programs without NLNAC or CCNE accreditation will be considered on an individual basis. RN applicants (with a baccalaureate degree in another field) to the MSN program must have completed a non-nursing baccalaureate degree with a GPA of 3.0 or higher from a nationally accredited college or university.
- Have evidence of a current RN licensure in Florida.
- Have completed introductory courses in statistics (3 credits), and basic health assessment (3 credits). RN applicants with an Associate Degree in Nursing and a baccalaureate degree in another field who are applying to the MSN program must have completed a non-nursing baccalaureate degree with a GPA of 3.0 or higher from a nationally accredited college or university. These RN applicants must have completed undergraduate courses with a grade of “C” or higher: 4 credits each of human anatomy & lab, human physiology & lab, microbiology & lab, and survey of chemistry & lab; and 3 credits each of human growth & development, statistics, psychology, principles of nutrition, and ethics.
- Submit evidence of basic computer application (word processing) skills.
- Have a faculty interview.
- Provide the following:
- Statement of philosophy of nursing and professional goals.
- Letters of reference from: 1) a previous nursing faculty; 2) a current immediate supervisor; and 3) a co-worker.
- For international students (graduates of foreign nursing schools) only:
- International graduate student applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit a score for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of 550 or for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Minimum required scores is 550 on the paper-based TOEFL, 80 on the internet-based TOEFL (iBT) or 6.5 overall on the IELTS.
- CGFNS certification or Florida RN license.
- The Florida Board of Nursing and clinical agencies require the disclosure of conviction records for misdemeanors and/or felonies; therefore, this information will be required at the time of application. Applicants are required to submit to criminal background checks and drug testing. Expenses associated with background checks and drug testing (including repeat testing) are the responsibility of the student. Findings may affect a student’s ability to be admitted, to participate in clinical experiences and complete the program, and/or obtain advanced licensure/ certification.